Friday, October 8, 2010

Inspiration is Obsolete.

There are many paths that may be taken when baptizing such an interface that hopefully might sort out the hurricane of thoughts that is my mind... or it may drive me closer to my imminent demise.

Inspiration is defined as an occurrence that promotes or influences an action. Yet who decides whether we choose to accept said occurrence? why is that in order for me to compose a 32 bar melody upon my Casio or to sketch a drawing depicting a lucid spacecraft landing on the lawn of the white house I must be inspired? My theory is simple, we are afraid of rejection. Not from our peers or mentors but from the critic that may drive us into a bridge related suicide or wave of depression. We are afraid of ourselves. I believe that the idea of inspiration is simply a failsafe that we have mentally created simply because we do not want to be responsible for our own failure. Not even dwelling into the existentialistic characteristics of making a decision of art by our own accord.(because I'm sure you're sick of existentialism) How many times have you done something only to not live up to the expectations you set by another example. What happened is that there is a certain level of quality we want to achieve and we attempt to make ourselves believe that we want it to pertain to another version of it so when we don't achieve that level of quality we can simply write it off that we didn't truly want it that way or simply we weren't "inspired enough". Its time to take responsibility of our work and most importantly to understand that we take a piece of our soul and allow our innermost beings to surface within all our work and that we must be proud of that no matter what.

May the Force be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment